If you have ambitions of owning a sports car, but don't have bucket loads of cash, you might want to consider some of these cheap sports cars. If you are willing to hunt around you can pick yourself up a real bargain.
Trust us when we say the following examples of sports cars are far from exhaustive and are in no particular order.
RELATED: THE INTERESTING HISTORY OF ELECTRIC CARS
What is the cheapest fastest car?
This depends on what you are after. You can pick up many great secondhand or used sports cars if you don't mind some mileage on the clock.
But if we are talking about the latest cars on the market there are some great fast cars you can own that won't set you back too much.
According to sites like carmax.com, some of the best sports cars you can buy on a budget in 2019 are as follows:
- Chevrolet Corvette - This classic car has been around for more than 60 years and you can own one for less than $30,000. The 2008 model, for example, comes with a 6.2L V8 engine and average prices are around $29,000 (between January and November 2018 sales data).
- Mini Cooper Countryman - While you might not consider this car a sports car, per se, the Countryman does have many characteristics that more traditional ones do. According to carmax.com, you can get your hands on a used one for around $20,000.
- Subaru BRZ - For less than $21,000 you can get your hands on this classic car. It was developed through a collaboration between Subaru and Toyota and the BRZ is widely considered a great car.
- Mazda MX-5 Miata - Again for less than $20,000 you can get your hands on a used Mazda MX-5 Miata. This diminutive, two-seat roadster is a pleasure to drive and has a respectable 2 L, four-cylinder, 155 HP engine.
- Nissan 370Z - The Nissan 370Z is a great little hatchback coupe with a pretty decent. The 2018 model can be yours for around $23,000 if you look in the right place.
What is the best sports car for the money?
If none of the above float your boat, you could consider some of these beauties. According to sites like whatcar.com, here are some more great sports cars that many would consider a bargain to buy (prices converted from £'s at the time of writing).
1. Lotus Evora - Can be yours for less than $40,000
2. Nissan GT-R - You can get one for less than $45,000
3. Lotus Elise - It's possible to pick one up for less than $45,000
4. Audi RS4 Avant - Can be found for less than $40,000
5. Jaguar XFR-S - Can be yours for less than $45,000
6. Porche 911 - Shop around and should be able to find one for less than $45,000
7. Mercedes C63 - It's possible to pick one up for less than $40,000
8. Porsche Boxster - You can get one for less than $45,000
9. Porsche Cayman - Can be yours for less than $45,000
10. BMW M4 - It's possible to pick one up for less than $40,000
What is the best cheap sports car to buy?
There are quite a few options around, but these 7 are some great options.
1. The Porsche 944 is a great option
Widely considered a fun car to drive, the Porsche 944 can be yours for very little money indeed. Naturally aspirated versions can be yours for less than $5000 and Turbo ones can be found for around $10,000.
2. The Honda S2000 is a fun little sports car
The Honda S2000 is a pretty tasty little sports car and you can get your hands on one for somewhere in the region of $15,000. It is very agile and has a very satisfying high-revving engine that anyone will quickly fall in love with.
3. The Ford Mustang is a beast
The Ford Mustang is another iconic, and fun, sports cars you can get if you are on a budget. If you are happy to hunt around you should be able to pick up a deal on some classic models like the fourth generation "SN-95".
4. The Volkswagen Golf GTI is awesome
The Volkswagen Golf GTI is one of the greatest sporty hatchbacks you can buy. Models like the 2013 VW GTI 2.0T come with a six-speed gearbox and torquey turbo motor that should easily give you 2000 hp.
5. The Chevrolet Camaro is a classic
For an average used sale price of $22,000 (Jan-18 to Nov-18), the Chevrolet Camaro is definitely worth a look. This sports car model has been around for many years and is widely considered one of the best sports cars of all time.
6. The Toyota MR2 is worth looking at
The Toyota MR2 is a classic mid-engine sports car that is really fun to drive. And it has aged pretty well too.
With three generations to pick from, clean examples can be found that should fit a wide range of budgets.
7. The Chrysler Crossfire is amazing
Basically a Mercedes-Benz SLK under the hood, the Chrysler Crossfire is a great option if you are considering buying yourself a sports car. It looks great, has more power than anyone could really need and can be yours for less than $10,000 if you hunt for one.
How much does a sports car cost?
This will entirely depend on whether you want a new or used car. We have already covered some examples above, and prices will vary depending on mileage, condition, the urgency of sale from owner, etc.
You should check local ads, dealerships and ask your friends, family and other connections for current bargains in your local area (or further afield). The internet is also filled with various websites that provide a platform to connect sellers with potential buyers.
If you really want a great deal always consider paying in cash too. "Money talks", as the saying goes and having the option to pay in cash really can open doors for battering.
Obviously, don't do this until you have done some proper due diligence on the vehicle (condition, legal status, etc), and seller, before exchanging money.
It usually also pays to get expert advice before buying a used car, or purchase only from a registered dealership as they should have done the hard work for you.